Open LMS is a Moodle-based Learning Management System that helps educators improve the learning experience and outcomes of millions of learners across the globe. In partnership with our community of educators, we continually innovate to better enable educators, parents, and learners of all types to teach, learn, connect, and communicate whenever they want and wherever they are. Most importantly, we help every student achieve their full potential through access to lifelong learning.
We also offer a full portfolio of education technologies including exclusive reseller relationships for web conferencing, accessibility improvement and innovative content offerings from both Blackboard and Learning Technologies Group.
For more information about Open LMS, please visit our website, and hit our YouTube channel to get a feel for our culture and meet members of the team.
As a member of the DevOps team, you will combine software and systems engineering to help build and run large-scale, distributed and fault-tolerant systems. This is a driven, creative, and energetic team that works in a flexible and agile fashion to deliver world-class products to the education market. You will become a core contributing member to the DevOps team delivering eLearning services to over a thousand clients, comprising almost 4 million users worldwide.
What you'll be doing
Specific responsibilities include:
- Using automation and Infrastructure as a Code (laC) to continuously improve the reliability, scalability, and performance of services deployed on AWS.
- Performance tuning and configuration of both Linux system and application parameters supporting highly concurrent web stacks.
- Manage infrastructure through code using configuration management and laC templating software such as Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.
- Developing and depoloying infrastructure through laC pipe-lines for Cloud System Engineering group
- Engaging with development teams on the design, deployment, capacity needs and operations of microservices, and supporting them as they transition to production.
- Providing advanced technical support to clients via email, phone, or other methods by identifying problems, researching answers, and guiding users through appropriate steps to provide the best possible customer experience.
- Documenting procedures and knowledge base articles throughout problem resolution and architecture development processes.
- Monitoring the availability, performance and health of production systems in support of meeting service level objectives using monitoring systems such as lcinga, New Relic,Prometheus, Grafana, CloudWatch, CloudTrail GuardDuty, OpsGenie, and PagerDuty.
- Participating in emergency incident response on-call rosters. Practicing blameless postmortems that lead to improvements in resiliency and reductions in alert fatigue.
Skills and Aptitudes
Successful candidates will have these required qualifications:
- In depth experience of AWS services (RDS (Relational Database Service), EC2, Autoscaling groups, S3 ITS, Deploying Lambda, EKS, Aurora PostgreSQL, WAF, NAT GW, Transit GW, ALB, etc.)
- Analytical problem-solving methodology with an outstanding ability to communicate and document effectively
- Minimum of three years in Linux system administration with experience automating system processes with a variety of scripting languages or equivalent skills
- Practical experience analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale, multi-region deployments in a public cloud (i.e. AWS)
- Practical experience with laC, Cl/CD, structured configuration such as JSON or YAML, and version control solutions (i.e. git)
- Experience in cloud deployment and management tools (e.g. Terraform, Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
- Familiarity with one or more programming or scripting languages (Python/ PHP / Ruby)
- Experience with LAMP stack: Linux, Apache, MariaDB/PostgreSQL/Aurora MySQL
- Experience in database administration along with a fundamental understanding of structured query language
- Knowledge of standard network/application protocols like HTTPS, SMTP, DNS, VPN
- A BS in Computer Science or a related field such as engineering or mathematics and 3+ years of work experience in Information Technology, or 5+ years of work experience in Information Technology overall
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Additionally, a top candidate will exhibit one or more of the following preferred qualifications:
- Proven experience optimizing cloud infrastructure and reducing cloud hosting costs, ideally inAWS
- Experience using tools such as CloudHealth or AWS Cost Explorer.
- A BA in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration engines
- Demonstrable scripting experience, preferably in PHP or Ruby
- Experience with network and/or Infrastructure security
- Prior experience within the education industry and/or with e-learning technologies
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Open LMS is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.