PRELOADED is seeking a highly creative and experienced Technical Art Director with a great track record for creating compelling games and playful experiences for a wide range of audiences. We are looking for a leader who is confident in pushing the boundaries in real time visual effects truly blending the physical and digital realities.
This role is a rare opportunity to be at the heart of the business, to oversee the technical art across the studio.
- Work alongside the Creative Lead and Art Director to execute the artistic vision.
- Work with the tech and art leads to design and write custom components and tools when control over complex visual elements is required.
- Support the studio R&D capabilities, prototype new shaders with immersive technology and hardware, explore cloud-based rendering and explore new tools.
- Continually evolve, set standards and best practices for creating real-time experience art pipelines using XR technology.
- Maintaining a holistic understanding of all aspects of the technical art capabilities across the studio
- Proactively identify new technologies and be on the pulse with latest industry trends in real time visual effects
- Be responsible for developing the studios real time capabilities that includes hiring and managing specialists under your watch (VFX/ shader artists, Riggers, Graphics Programmers etc.)
- Work with artistic and development teams to drive in game budgets and ensure proper experience performance and optimisation.
- Creation of supporting documentation detailing shaders, pipelines and tools are clear for the artists.
- Maintain a clear channel of communication between the art and dev teams.
- Anticipate art risks to the project and work effectively with the team to mitigate them.
- Hands on creation of VFX and shaders.
MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE
- 5+ Years of experience as a Technical Artist working on Shaders & Materials, lighting, Post FX, Rendering, Rigging, Tool, Performance & Pipelines.
- Generalist technical artist, Strong 3D art skills with experience in optimising modelling, texturing, rigging, animation, shading, lighting and particle effects for real-time workflows.
- Effective leader, with an open and inclusive approach.
- Extremely broad understanding in sculpting, modelling, rigging and animation and understanding of the related workflows.
- Passion for working with new, unexplored platforms and technologie, such as immersive tech, and drive to understand the affordances around them.
- Strong proactive problem solving skills with an aptitude for resolving technical issues
- Strong understanding of PBR workflow and shader programming, cg/ HLSL.
- Excellent knowledge of Unity
- Strong coding and scripting skills (C# , Mel / Python)
- Comfortable in a range of content creation software including Photoshop and Maya.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with a strong ability to express ideas and reasoning to key stakeholders and the team.
- Experience with Tools and writing and designing creative workflows.
- Working knowledge of asset management tools such as git.
“NICE TO HAVE”
- You have experience in film / cinematics and understand pace, emotion and feel.
- Experience with the Substance suite and Houdini
- You have worked with immersive technologies such as AR and VR.
- Knowledge of Unreal Engine.
We’re pleased to offer an impressive benefits package including:
- Salary: Highly competitive salary, benchmarked by the industry and reviewed annually inline with performance.
- Bonus scheme: A discretionary bonus scheme based on PRELOADED’s financial performance, allowing everyone to share in our collective success.
- Share save Scheme: A share save scheme which allows you to benefit from the year-on-year increase in share price without market risk.
- Work / Life balance: A highly flexible approach to working. You can choose to be fully remote, flexible or permanently on-site, and we operate flexible working hours so you can do “the school run” or shorter / longer days to suit your needs. And there is a very strict no-crunch policy.
- Personal Development: We passionately embrace a culture of learning within the studio. Combining personal L&D time with a programme of curated courses and peer learning sessions; our aim is to develop your craft alongside wider team skills.
- Kit and tools: Everyone gets access to the best kit, technology and tools needed to do the job. If you need something we don’t have, just ask.
- Holiday: Everyone starts with a 26 day entitlement plus the usual bank holidays, and “no-working” days between Christmas and New Year.
- Healthcare+: Alongside a cash plan which subsidises your healthcare needs we also offer life assurance for all employees.
- Travel Loans: For anyone wanting to travel into the studio we offer loans to pay the upfront cost of travel, helping you be smarter with your money.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
PRELOADED is a BAFTA-winning games studio using emerging technologies to create playful, purposeful experiences for global partners.
We build immersive products to help organisations such as McDonald’s, LEGO and BBC reach mainstream audiences, and partner with technology platforms such as Niantic, Magic Leap, HTC and Google to imagine the future.
We are passionate about bringing together the most talented and diverse teams to invent new forms of play and transform our world. We are an equal opps employer and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
PRELOADED is part of Learning Technologies Group (LTG).