PRELOADED is seeking a Head of Design to lead the Design team’s exploration of ‘play with purpose’ across games XR projects. You will be an expert designer with an instinctive knowledge of creating compelling immersive and playful experiences for a wide range of audiences with a passion to work with cutting edge creative technologies.
As a design leader, you are an effective communicator and mediator with a passion and drive to create an open, inclusive environment and be a champion for your team and their development.
- Lead and own the studio's design strategy, capabilities and project quality.
- Provide excellent design leadership and judgment by working with lead designers to help set and execute our projects' creative vision and design intent.
- Shape, frame and own selected projects as the Design Lead, working with the Creative Lead and other leads in a hands-on capacity to create compelling experiences for the target audience.
- Plan for the best and most efficient deployment of design resources. Collaborate closely with Leads and EPs to ensure project needs and team's development needs are met.
- Manage the design team, including hiring, career development, performance and pay reviews etc. Help mentor, coach, champion and inspire them.
- Cultivate and build relationships within the industry to ensure the best talent available.
- Create an open, high-performance learning environment where design team members can share best practices and grow.
- Champion audience-centric design methods and uphold benchmarks for discoverability, player understanding, cognitive load, and supporting playtesting.
- Be a part of the Senior Management team, contributing to the studio's day-to-day operations and future strategy.
MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE
- You have at least 5 years of experience building games / immersive experiences with at least 2 years of experience in a leadership/line-management role.
- Generalist senior designer, confident in designing at every stage of the project and getting stuck-in and hands-on. A deep understanding of interactive systems, affordances of immersive technologies, balance and pace. Methodical and have a systematic approach to problem-solving.
- Effective leader, with an open and inclusive approach with the ability to adjust, based on feedback and team needs.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with a strong ability to express ideas and reasoning to key stakeholders and the team.
- An ability to coach and mentor game designers at all levels, so that they can grow and develop their skills and capabilities.
- Passion for working with new, unexplored platforms and technologies, such as immersive tech, and a drive to understand the affordances around them.
- Self-organized, self-motivated and hands-on.
“NICE TO HAVE”
- You have experience in creating experiences that blend between physical and digital worlds
- You have a passion for imagining the future of play which solves problems, connects people and transforms our world.
- You have worked with a wide range of immersive technologies in a creative capacity.
We’re pleased to offer an impressive benefits package including:
- Salary: Highly competitive salary, benchmarked by the industry and reviewed annually inline with performance.
- Bonus scheme: A discretionary bonus scheme based on PRELOADED’s financial performance, allowing everyone to share in our collective success.
- Share save Scheme: A share save scheme which allows you to benefit from the year-on-year increase in share price without market risk.
- Work / Life balance: A highly flexible approach to working. You can choose to be fully remote, flexible or permanently on-site, and we operate flexible working hours so you can do “the school run” or shorter / longer days to suit your needs. And there is a very strict no-crunch policy.
- Personal Development: We passionately embrace a culture of learning within the studio. Combining personal L&D time with a programme of curated courses and peer learning sessions; our aim is to develop your craft alongside wider team skills.
- Kit and tools: Everyone gets access to the best kit, technology and tools needed to do the job. If you need something we don’t have, just ask.
- Holiday: Everyone starts with a 26 day entitlement plus the usual bank holidays, and “no-working” days between Christmas and New Year.
- Healthcare+: Alongside a cash plan which subsidises your healthcare needs we also offer life assurance for all employees.
- Travel Loans: For anyone wanting to travel into the studio we offer loans to pay the upfront cost of travel, helping you be smarter with your money.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
PRELOADED is a BAFTA-winning games studio using emerging technologies to create playful, purposeful experiences for global partners.
We build immersive products to help organisations such as McDonald’s, LEGO and BBC reach mainstream audiences, and partner with technology platforms such as Niantic, Magic Leap, HTC and Google to imagine the future.
We are passionate about bringing together the most talented and diverse teams together to invent new forms of play and transform our world. We are an equal opps employer and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
PRELOADED is part of Learning Technologies Group (LTG).